Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Expensive Candles


So I finally did it. For the first time in my life I bought an expensive candle. Diptyque candles were on sale at Bigelow Chemist so I chose Tilleul. If you read this blog you’ll know I’m crazy about tilleul/linden/lime tree blossom. The candle is undoubtedly a lovely smell, but after burning it for about 4 hours last night, I decided that expensive candles just aren’t worth it. I can buy an equally nice smelling candle at Target for about $10 and I’ve found the Target candles to have stronger projection and last a mighty long time. There’s one at Target called Tahitian Vanilla that is just wonderful. Tahitian Vanilla usually makes me hungry or in the mood to bake so I’ve stopped burning that one lately and instead picked up pomegranate and fir tree for the holiday mood. On the one hand I’m disappointed that the Diptyque Tilleul candle isn’t simply amazing, but on the other hand, I’m glad I won’t be spending $60 on candles (more $$ for perfume, tee, hee ;-)

4 comments:

lady jicky said...

I like the candles but do not think they are worth the money either - but - their room sprays are delish and longer lasting .

Olfacta said...

Maybe it's me, but I cannot imagine,in my wildest dreams, even with unlimited funds, spending $80 on a candle.

Especially since I can get a fine 50 ml FB on sale (or a handful of 8 ml decants) for that!

I have a scent dispenser (one of those porcelain disks with a heating element) and have been known to mix an unscented oil like Neutrogena's with perfume or EDP and pour it into the resevoir.It scents a room nicely, with exactly the scent I want, for almost free.

Gotta be creative in times like these.

ScentScelf said...

I've often meant to try the trick of mixing an essential oil blend (or buying a pre-mix), then putting a couple of drops in the melted wax near the wick. Though I have a diffuser, which works just fine.

I love my scents, but there are issues with candle burning that I won't get into, which further "snuff" any rare impulse I have to buy the expensive candles. Like Olfacta, I'd rather spend my cash on good quality perfume. :)

Tania said...

I have two Diptyque candles, both were gifts. I find they scent my living room very well, but then, it is a smallish room!
For myself, I buy cheaper candles, or incense.